- The hostile environment creeps into criminal courts
- Latest grant from Strategic Legal Fund
- Embedded HO workers in local authorities - Project17 & DPG looking for client for potential strategic legal challenge
- Good character requirement in children's citizenship claims
- We Belong video (Let Us Learn/Just for Kids Law)
Latest grant from Strategic Legal Fund
One additional grant was awarded in the July round.
Commons Law CIC - £7,636
Commons, a not-for-profit criminal law firm, has been awarded funds to carry out preliminary research into the expansive reach of the government's immigration control and hostile environment policy into the criminal justice system. Since November 2017, there has been a requirement for defendants in criminal proceedings to provide their nationality to the courts. Failure to provide this information is a criminal offence, regardless of whether immigration status has any bearing on the substantive offence or issues of bail. It is also retained regardless of whether the defendant is acquitted or the proceedings are discontinued.