- Successful challenge in the Supreme Court to the introduction of a Residence Test for legal aid
- Young unaccompanied asylum seekers in the camps in Calais reunited with their families in the UK
- Child Refugee wins the right to be re-united with their parents
- Successful challenge in the Supreme Court to the ban on students loans for migrants who are lawfully present in the UK
- Legal Aid Lawyer of the year awards for SLF grantees and expert panel member
Signs of success
We are delighted to report promising progress from some of the grants made by the Strategic Legal Fund. For example:
- There are positive developments in the case of MA & Others vs the UK. The SLF funded the AIRE Centre´s legal team to travel to the Court of Justice of the EU in autumn 2013 to make submissions in a third party intervention in the case. The case concerns the circumstances in which separated asylum seeking children may be returned to other EU Member States. In February 2013 the Advocate General - who assists Judges in drafting their judgment - gave his opinion; he adopted the AIRE Centre´s argument, which emphasised the rights of the child. The final judgement of the Court is awaited. See more from the AIRE Centre
- Challenges are under way as a result of SLF grants awarded to the Public Law Project, Bail for Immigration Detainees (BID) and Harrow Law Centre.
- We are aware of positive policy changes arising as a result of SLF grants, for example one London borough has agreed to review its Leaving Care policy as a result of the Tower Hamlets Law Centre project.
- SLF funded research has also been used in reports to be published by BID, The Children´s Society and Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit.
With other SLF funded projects, decisions are awaited on cases that may become strategic challenges. Some grantees have had cases settle, so are seeking others on which to develop a strategic challenge.
A full list of grants awarded by the Strategic Legal Fund for Vulnerable Young Migrants, and the pilot project that preceded it, is available here.